First Pages Prize invites entries of your first pages of a longer work of fiction or creative nonfiction.
This year's judge is acclaimed author and director of the Iowa Writers' Workshop, Lan Samantha Chang.
For 2021, FIVE winners will receive US $5,000 total in cash awards, a developmental edit to support the completion of their manuscript, and an agent consultation for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners.
Cash awards are as follows: 1st US$2,000, 2nd US$1,250, 3rd US$750, 4th and 5th US$500 each.
Submit the first pages (maximum 1,250 words) of a longer work of fiction or creative non-fiction.
Double space your pages and kindly use Times New Roman 12-point font.
No alteration may be made once your entry is submitted.
Your full name must not appear on your document (do check your header and footer) to ensure judging anonymity. You must be currently un-agented to enter and your entry must not be previously published, even on a blog or Wattpad.
Entries open: January 1, 2021
Entries close: February 7, 2021 at 23:59 p.m. Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Extended entry deadline: February 21, 2021 at 23:59 p.m. Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Please check a time zone converter to avoid disappointment and inability to enter, e.g.: https://www.thetimezoneconverter.com
The fee per entry is US $20.
The fee per entry for the extended deadline is US $35.
Entry fees for submissions that fail to observe submission guidelines cannot be refunded.
More about entries
Simultaneous submissions are possible, however, if your entry wins 1st, 2nd or 3rd place in another competition -- or if you gain representation with a literary agent -- you must withdraw from the First Pages Prize by emailing email@example.com. Your entry fee will be refunded (minus processing + transaction fees).
Entries (or drafts of entries) that have already won 1st, 2nd or 3rd place in another competition are not eligible to enter.
Entries (or drafts of entries) that previously entered the First Pages Prize and did not place 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th ARE eligible to enter.
By entering this competition, each entrant agrees to the full competition guidelines, terms and conditions: https://www.firstpagesprize.com/guidelines-and-termsconditions
Please remember to read the full guidelines and terms & conditions before entering.
How to Enter
1) Click the “Enter Now” button below.
2) Click “create account and continue” to create a Submittable account or log in if you are already a member.
3) Fill in the form. Please be assured that any information you enter about yourself on the form is not seen by the reviewers or judge. All entries are blinded. Reviewers ONLY see your story's TITLE and its GENRE (fiction or creative nonfiction). Your full name must not appear in your story's title.
4) Enter payment details by credit / debit card or PayPal.
5) Upload your pages as one file. PDF, Word, Docx, Doc, TXT, RTF, ODT, WPF or WPD files are accepted.
6) Click "Submit"
7) You will see a screen that says, “submission successfully submitted” and receive an email acknowledging receipt of your entry. You will be directed to join our mailing list, please consider joining if you haven't already, to hear the latest first.
Congratulations! We look forward to reading your work. Winners will be notified in April 2021.
Enter your first pages (maximum of 1,250 words) from a longer work of fiction or creative nonfiction. By entering you agree to the guidelines and terms & conditions for the First Pages Prize 2021. Any entry not adhering to these contest guidelines will be disqualified.
For enquiries please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Only the TITLE and GENRE answers are visible to reviewers and judge. All other information is hidden and treated in strict confidence.
We can't wait to read your entry(ies)!